Friday, February 20, 2009

Lil Man Learns Ranch Lesson

I felt like such a bad mom yesterday evening but it was something Lil Man was going to have to learn living on the ranch. Here's the story...

I went out to feed the cows as I normally do after work. As I was feeding the girls, I noticed the new baby had a lot of poo packed on her hind end. I knew I needed to get it off before she started having problems. So when I fed, momma cow went to the end of the feeders and baby went to the other. This was my chance to mess with baby. Of course, you don't really think things thru when you get a split second opportunity with a calf, especially when you're out there by yourself. But I grabbed the little girl's tail in one hand and started getting poo off with the other. (Note to self, wash pink gloves!)

While I was dealing with that, Lil Man started SCREAMING! I looked over and saw Momma cow, Silk, had him down. She was hookin', kickin', rollin', stompin' poor Lil Man all over the place. I started hollerin' for her to stop as I ran over throwing the empty feed sack at her. After several seconds of yelling and waving of the arms, she finally gets off him. I swoop in and grab him up. He's yelpin' his little heart out.

I take him in the barn and hold him until he calms down. Did the usual pat down. Run my hand over his body to check for any injuries or broken bones. He doesn't yelp or whine as I do my inspection. I put him down so I can finish feeding and he's not able to stand on his left hind leg. He gives the most pitiful sad look that breaks my heart.

I finish up the chores. Lil Man has made it outside the barn and is laying in the grass. Still with the pitiful look. I get him some children's pain reliever to help with the pain and soreness. But I still feel horrible for not watching him more closely. I take him in the house and rock 'em in the recliner for about 30 minutes before puttin' him back outside for the night.

This morning, he's still gimpin' around with his left hind leg up. I gave him some more medicine and some treats. I may take off early from work this afternoon so I can go check on him. He's young and resilient but I don't like when my babies are hurt.

Lil Man got his first dose of angry momma cows. I hope he's learned something from the experience, like don't be the slowest dog around when momma cow wants to hook something! I bet he thinks twice before going out with me to feed!

28 comments:

Holly Lane said...

aww poor babe, it is tough to watch anyone take a hookin, especially someone so adorable and cute!

Vaquerogirl said...

Aww- poor lil guy! I bet he watches those cows now with a lot more respect. Silks horns are nothing to be sneezed at!

BloggessJ said...

Poor little man. It's gonna be tough on him until his legs get a little longer....Hopefully he's a quick learner though.

Anonymous said...

ohhh...lil man! It's tough getin' yer learnin' at the school of hard knocks...and taskmaster Momma Cow!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

or little dude!! My Sheeter got nailed in the head by one of my mares just before Christmas, Scared him and me ( and my poor brother in law who stoppped in found a blood trail and no me!)A few sutures and I am guessing a bad headache, but you know , when I say "that'll do" he seems to hear better!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

sticky keys pups name is Skeeter

Libby's Library said...

OUCH - bet you hurt more than he did...that's just the way it is with us mommies!

Andrea said...

Oh no, poor lil man! I hope he gets to feeling better, and I too think he will think twice before helping feed the momma cows. I am glad he is alright. I bet his pride hurts a bit. Poor Lil Man.

Unknown said...

Aww poor guy!! I bet he ain't gonna be going near mama cow anymore.

This reminds me of a couple weeks ago one place I work this lady has this little cotton ball of a dog. He always chases the one tom cat and tom cat doesn't want to play so he runs. Well tom cat gave the cotton ball his come uppins. We hear this HIIIIISSS and then YIPE YIPE YIPE YIPE!!! Tom cat smacked him but good across the face. Hasn't chased him since.

Anonymous said...

Our little dog goes crazy barking and whatnot when she sees cows. She hasn't learned that painful lesson yet!

CTG Ponies said...

Poor little guy! He certainly learned a lesson about cows.

Bekah said...

oh how sad! poor lil man!

kdwhorses said...

Poor little guy! But you're right they do have to learn! Betcha he thinks from now on! There is not much worse than a angry momma cow!

Hope he is better! Give him lovings from me!

Robynn's Ravings said...

Hope he's better today! I'm worried!

But hopefully it will save him from learning a worse lesson later. He's just too CUTE to be beat up!

Mikey said...

Aww, poor kid! Those are tough lessons to learn. We don't have any small dogs here just because of that. They get trompled!

Anonymous said...

Oh poor little guy! His leg isn't broken is it?

Well, that was a tree-moo-ndous lesson, I reckon!

Faithful said...

Hope the lesson stays put..some dogs never learn.. they just get faster! Glad to hear Lil Mman is ok, with just a few bumps and bruises,he soo cute! Dogs are amazingly tough..aren't they? My heeler still gets kicked every once and awhile..doesn't stop her a lick!

Pony Girl said...

My sister's Aussie was a 2 or 3 mo. old pup and had a bad habit of chasing the horses down the fence line, barking at them during feeding time. Anyone who knows horses knows they get riled up at feeding time. Well one afternoon she ran along the fence and then around the corner and...under the gate, right into My Boy's pasture, where he had come running down for dinner. He stomped on her. My sister's boyfriend heard the dog yelping and assumed she'd gotten her front legs broken. He rushed her to the vet and luckily nothing was broken, but she did have some wounds and needed stitches. She was up bouncing around in a day or two. But never went into that pasture again. She does, however, still bark and run at the fences at the horses during feeding time. :(
I'm glad 'lil man was okay! Scary lesson, but hopefully he's a much wiser pup for it!

Paintsmh said...

Poor Lil' Man! It is a hard lesson, and one that every farm/ranch dog around cattle learns. I hope he heals up to his perky puppy self quickly! Hugs and kisses for him!

Jocelyn said...

Rut Roh.. I bet he is saying, you got me this time Mamma Cow, but just wait until I am big and strong and we'll see who chases who around here!

Far Side of Fifty said...

The poor Lil guy, school of hard knocks was in seesion. It is too bad that they have to learn the hard way:(

Tami Weingartner said...

Oh dear....glad it turned out okay. Lifes tough. He'll have learned his lesson I'm sure.

Dusty Devoe said...

Oh, poor baby! I hope he recovers quick and has learned a lesson.

Homestay Mama said...

Aw, poor thing!

Shirley said...

Pore lil man; hope he didn't break anything! Janice over at Own a Morgan just had her pup get tangled up in the horses with a resulting broken leg.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Oh...I hope Lil Man is feeling better today. And hope he learned, but as you know, some never learn.
He will have an advantage later tho...he'll be as big as one of those mama cows and might give her a run for her money!

Gecko said...

Aww no! It's terrible that sometimes that's the only way they'll learn. =( My eldest dog used to chase Kangaroos something shocking, until she caught one one day, it wheeled around and was in the process of ripping her to shreds if only someone hadn't whacked the roo over the back of the head with a lump of wood!

Unknown said...

Those mamma cows can be so mean!
We had one #222 was her number & I think it should have been 666. She whent down the road this fall. Whew, we can breath a little easier now.