Thursday, September 9, 2010

Eight Lives Left

Much to our surprise, the remaining kitten is still alive.  He is much smarter than his sister. But we did have a close call on Monday.  We were in the yard feeding the dogs.  The Husband had cooked bacon earlier that morning and was putting the bacon grease on the dry dog food.  He went back inside to put the tray up and I was standing on the porch trying to keep everyone at their own bowl.  Suddenly I hear the Husband yell, "No! No!"  I'm wondering what in the heck he's talking about inside the door.  He opens the door and says LOOK!  I turn just in time to see the kitten at the bottom of the porch steps.  I jump down to grab him and he went under the porch.  I managed to reach in and snatch him up.  Scurried out of the yard with him snug against my chest.  You know what, dogs never even knew it was in the yard.  They were too interested in the bacon coated food!

Now when I'm home, he spends his time on my truck tire.  I think he likes taunting the dogs.  Nah, really I think he just wants to be close to us but the Husband would NOT allow the cat in the house.  He's allergic so it's not an option.

So here he sits...


Sits there as long as my truck does.


And these two sit there as long as he does.


Well Diesel watches him all the time.  Hardly ever moves away from the fence.  Pepper has lost some of her fascination with him.  But I know if either had a chance, they'd get him.

I make sure to locate him every morning before I leave for work.  He usually meets me on the side of the truck and I shoosh him over towards the barn.  I'm hoping we don't run thru the rest of his lives anytime soon.

15 comments:

BridgeEtta said...

I hate to say this but I think his days are numbered. Too bad about the allergy. If the barn is safe maybe there is someways to encourage him to stay there. Like just pet him there and no where else. It kind of works that way here. Till winter comes and I feel sorry for dogs on cold days but the barn has rafters for cats and on top of the tack room. I guess as a tom cat he'll eventually head off after . . . girls, anyway.

DKG aka Scrappy Doo said...

I really hope kitten hangs in there!

Gail said...

Don't give up!

Janet Phillips said...

aww its soo cute!!! I love my dogs, but I alos love cats. they are so much fun. My JRT just wants to eat my cat and my boarder collie just wants to heal it so so I know how you feel!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I hope he learns to stay in the barn! Lucky escape

Unknown said...

LOL silly kitty!

Paint Girl said...

That is the cutest kitten, I love it's color!!

lisa said...

Close call! But watch out with the truck tires! The kids left to go get water from the spring and we had two barn kittens that were on the tires and they didn't see them and drove off. The one was killed and the other mangled pretty bad, but he survived!

Shirley said...

We teach our dogs that cats are off limits; Ted takes the kitten and places it on the dog, and we make the dog submit. After a few times of that the dogs usually get it that cats are acceptable, and are not to be messed with. Also anything that is "ours" they don't get to touch- and that includes cats! It's a bit of work, but it's worth it.

Anonymous said...

He is a cutie. I think you need to keep him safe until he is larger and smarter (less friendly to bigger animals) and then he'll find a way to make peace in the family.
Do you have a basement he could use this winter?

Mama Mess said...

Sweet funny kitty! Hopefully he'll figure it out. My dogs don't kill the cat, but they do like to chase her and if they can catch her, they will chew on her a little bit. More uncomfortable than anything else. She got smart real quick and since our dogs are in a fence (like yours) she's learned to stay out of the area where they can get her! Hopefully Mr. Kitty will do the same!

Leah said...

He is a cutie -- our dogs have learned to tolerate our barn cats and now consider them family. Although Lenny likes to chase them up a tree all in fun of course... I also note tho that a stray cat would't have much of a prayer - they just seem to know which ones are family..

Vaquerogirl said...

Be sure to knock on your truck and listen before starting it up. Cats and kittens often learn that the engine is warm and will crawl up inside. Not pretty!

Farmchick said...

So glad our dogs get along well with our kitties. :) Thats a dangerour area for little kitties to hide. We have lost several kitties like that through the years. :( What a sweet little guy though. :)

Anonymous said...

unfortunately cats don't survive at our house either! My dad's dog isn't allowed at my grandparents either. Red killed my grandparents favorite kitten 2 years ago.