Friday, September 24, 2010

And It Led Me Here...

Sometimes you just have to think, is this what God really intended?  You know, I do try to listen but sometimes I'm a little dense.  I tell Him to make things very clear for me so I'll catch it.  Today, I think He did that.

This whole dog adoption deal really upset me.  Everyone I know is dumbfounded that I would be denied.  Then, as I said yesterday, I went by the local humane society. (Which is SOOO not like me.  Y'all know how I feel about that place.)  The people were very nice there and each person I came in contact with went out of there way to help me with the dog I was asking about.  When I got home, I emailed the shelter and asked them to please put my contact information on the dog's paperwork.  Also let them know that I would email monthly to check on her status until she returns from the college.

This morning I got a response saying that they would gladly keep my information and looked forward to my monthly check ins.  After I received the email, I got this overwhelming feeling that I needed to do more for the shelter, volunteer somehow.  So I hopped on their website, looking at their volunteer information.  There is was! Jumped off the screen at me.  They need volunteers to photograph their animals.  HELLO!!!

IMG_2998


IMG_3435

Diesel 030610

SK Ace

IMG_1653


Duke portrait

IMG_7868

I immediately sent another email.  I told my contact person that I would love to photograph the pets for the shelter.  Maybe if we could get some cute pics, people would be more apt to adopt them.  The response I got back, "That would be incredible!"  So I told them to let me know what I needed to do to get started.  After that, my mind started running with ideas.  Why don't we do a calendar for the shelter?  People are more likely to donate if they get something for their money.  Okay, maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse, I haven't even took a picture yet.  It's just that I'm pretty excited.

So maybe there was a bigger plan behind all this?  I don't know but maybe I can help bunches of animals instead of just one.

26 comments:

West Side of Straight said...

Way to Go! Proud of you, and you'll be the best photographer they've ever had there!!!!!!!

Mama Mess said...

Waaah Hooo girl! Talk about Divine Providence! I love love love that you told Him to put it simple so's you'd get it and boy did He ever! That is such an incredible idea and I cannot wait to see the dogs you photograph! A calendar is a fabulous idea. Take this idea and run with it girl!

CindyDianne said...

That is so completely awesome! I love it when God makes it obvious for us dummies!

Linda said...

...and you will be wonderful!!!!! Congrats!

Country Whispers said...

That is great!
I hope you can help all of the animals by getting their photos out there and I hope you get the dog that you want.

Unknown said...

Kit, this is so great and such a great idea. I was just discussing this with the two veterinarian gals that work for my husband and they think I should volunteer to do pics for our local humane society as well. And like you, very excited about doing this...as long as I can keep from bringing home any kittahs! Good luck Kit....let us all know how it goes.

Denisarita said...

Way to go girl! You weren't there to save one, but MANY.. Cool.

Paige said...

That is a great idea, and I bet it pays off. If just one more animal gets adopted, its worth it

good for you

Linda said...

You will help SO MANY animals by photographing them. You'll be able to help the put their best paw forward!! Nicely done! BTW I'd buy a calendar:)

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Just perfect! Your photography is brilliant and your love for animals makes it a perfect fit!Wonderful when God leads you to where you need to be, who else knows your heart so well. And I have to slip in the shelter that denied you ...BIg mistake! Huge!

Leah said...

Great idea - go girl! Your doggy pics are wonderful too! Our shelter does a calendar and sells it as a fundraiser (the pictures are donated by people like you and I to help raise money) -- but pics of the shelter pups is a wonderful idea....

Bekah said...

very very cool!

I tried to volunteer at the SPCA not too long ago, and they wouldnt let me until I took their dogwalking class...which wasnt for another 5 months. By then I was pregnant and it wasnt a good idea to be around jumping dogs all the time!

Unknown said...

Thats perfect for you! Please do share some pictures and stories please!

BridgeEtta said...

Now you've got it : )

Gail said...

This is perfect, you can help many.

I know the shelter pictures I see do not capture the animals' essence and you have that talent...I see it in all your pictures.

Good luck...and remember, you can't bring them all home!!

the cubicle's backporch said...

OMG!!! This is PERFECT for you!! I don't know how many times I've looked through a shelter/Humane Society website and thought 'these animals are so cute but their pictures do nothing for them.' I love the ones you posted today, and it'll increase an animal's chances of being adopted!

This is such a good idea!!!

Lil Mama said...

That's so cool! I wish you lived closer. I would love for you to photograph my little girls.

Mikey said...

That is so excellent! You take such good pictures, I can't wait to see what you do for the shelter. All God's plan.... :)

LindaG said...

That is so wonderful! And a calendar is a great idea! I hope you can find someplace perhaps willing to donate the printing for you.
I'd buy one. :)

*hugs* ♥ Congratulations on finding such a wonderful thing to do. :)

Tatersmama said...

God knows what he's doin', darlin'. Sometimes we just have to be patient and wait for him to knock us over the head! But yeah... a calendar...note cards... flyers... the possibilities are endless!
Geez, but I just love your tender heart!!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Girl you are not dense! You ROCK~!! God got through to you just when he needed to! That is SO awesome!! I think the calender is a great idea! Can't wait to hear how things go!!

Nikker said...

You are AWESOME!! What a great idea!! Props to you!

RURAL said...

Sometimes it just takes a little while before everything is aligned the correct way.

And God had great plans for you, I love this.

You are going to be spectacular, and do such a great job. How wonderful to be able to use your talents in such a rewarding way.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a fabulous idea and you take excellent photos! If you do it, let us all know!!!

CTG Ponies said...

That's awesome!! You're a sweetheart for offering. Let me know if you need help putting a calendar together. I've got some great inexpensive ideas for how to do it.

Unknown said...

I did this for our shelter for a time (then kids took over all available oxygen). We did a thing with the local papers called "Pet of the week" and good photos made a huge difference.

It'll be a wonderful thing to do and maybe you could offer a monthly prize drawing for everyone who adopts - a pet and owner picture!