Sunday, January 10, 2010

Buckin' In the Cold

At least it was above freezin' today.  Not a whole lot but I'll take what I can get.  We hauled the bulls to Stephenville this morning.  We took the weanlings to Rent-a-husband to turn out on a lease for a year.  Then we bucked the two year olds and Stubby.

Our partner on Stubby informed us this last week that he needed to sell his half.  He no longer had the funds to take care of his half and needed the money.  So luckily, after some negotiations, Rent-a-husband will be our new partner!  That makes me happy.  Stubby is my buddy.  He meets me in the evenings at the gate waiting for his treats.  The husband hates that I have made him such a pet.  He was trying to load this morning and Stubby wouldn't move.  He just stood next to me, blocking the alley.  He loves his momma, what can I say.

So today we bucked him for the first time with a rider.  Didn't know what to expect but he pleasantly surprised us.  Wished he would have turned back a little sooner but for his first trip, we're pleased.



Just a little Crazy M history, this arena is the place where the husband and I held our invitational bullriding after our wedding.  Quite the wedding reception huh!  Our wedding invitations read "A bullriding will be held immediately following the ceremony."  Don't see that very often, do ya?

20 comments:

Kimberley said...

I think he did pretty awesome for the first time out!
Your wedding sounded very unique! What and idea! Love it!

Leah said...

I'm all for unique weddings, wedding receptions etc (we had a traditional wedding almost 24 yrs ago) but I've been to so many nontraditional ones that have been fabulous! -- Looks like Stubby is coming along :)

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Certainly a memorable event I bet! go Stubby!!!!

Unknown said...

Cold!??! Try coming here.
Go stubby! He bucked decent for his first time. I love the idea of the wedding. Certainly never see that around here.

Genie said...

Hmmmm - for some reason, I can't see the video.
A couple years ago, I photographed a wedding held in the arena. Seating was on bales of hay and a temporary hitchin' post was between the preacher and the couple. After the wedding, everything was cleared out and the jackpot bull riding began. The couple has held a bull riding and BBQ every year to celebrate their anniversary.

Jocelyn said...

Bull Riding reception?
That sounds awesome!

So do you do it again every year?

threecollie said...

Wish we did see it more often! THAT is a wedding!!!

Mikey said...

Go Stubby!! He looks good!
And of course you'd have a bullriding reception! Why not?! lol

lisa said...

I think that would be a pretty awesome wedding reception! Nice bull!

Faithful said...

That's a first for me..love the idea..I would have loved to have been invited..it so fits you two! I love people that that are true to their lifestyles.

Woo Hoo! I'm rootin' for Stubby!

RURAL said...

Ok, this is going to be one dumb question. Please, no one laugh....
OH Please!

Does Stubby get trained to become a bucking bull? Or does he just get saddled up with a rider, and you let him go for it.

Jen [embarrassed to ask, but curious]

Janice said...

Wahoo lots of potential in that boy. That was very good for his first go.Hey Jen don't be embarrassed but I'll let The Wife field that question.

Gail said...

Looked good to me! A wonderful idea for the wedding...

Anonymous said...

Man I would of TOTALLY love to have been on your invite list!

The Wife said...

Jen- It's not an embarrassing question. It's been asked of me before. We try to breed them with the best genetics so they buck. The only "training" we do is running them in the chutes and in the arenas. But that's so they get used to being in them. They either buck or they don't. We just hope they do!

Vaquerogirl said...

Love the reception idea! Would have loved to be there too!
Stubby is great!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

So WOW that was quite some news from the other half holder!!! I am SO glad it worked out the way it did!! He did great for his first time with a rider!!

And I do love that you did that for your reception! AWESOME!!

gtyyup said...

Way to go Stubby! I'm sure your wedding reception was the best anyone had ever been to!

Shirley said...

I think Stubby is going to have a good career!

Andrea said...

Girl, my husband would have LOVED for a buck out to be after our wedding!! I won't tell him because he will be so jealous!!

Look at little Stubby go!! I still love his color!!