Monday, November 24, 2008

A Day of Work

Sunday we went to work early building a pen to wean the last of our calves. The original pen we built several months back is now housing our bulls so we had to reinforce another place for our wild little children.

They knew something was up with all the commotion of the tractor and truck in the pen. They came up to see what was going on.

First, we started by putting up some wire panels over the 6 strand barbwire.

Then we had to move very heavy bull panels with the tractor to build a pen inside the pen. That way we could sort easier and use it when loading.

The husband worked hard setting t-posts and wiring the panels together.

While he did that, I did a lot of this.....


standing there looking at my feet and this......

ahhh....the princess on her royal perch. Hmmm....looks like the princess has had a few too many royal sweets!! I digress....anyhoo...

While setting up the panels, we almost had a royal disaster. The husband had the princess, oh I mean, the wife hold three very heavy bull panels up while he tried forking them with the tractor. The weight of the panels plus the pressure from the forks pushed them over. At one point, the thought of broken and mangled arms flashed thru my head. I managed to let go of the panels and they fell against some wooden posts. Phew! Death by bull panels would not be my ideal way to go!

We finally managed to get the pen set up and the calves caught. I managed to avoid some other near misses involving an angry momma cow and her crazy bull calf while sorting. My goodness it was a stressful, life flash before your eyes, sorta day. The husband even yelled at me a couple times worried the cow/calf were gonna run me down. Stupid me, I stand my ground. Lucky me, they were just bluffin'!

So we have our calves penned up and the bawlin' has begun. Next Sunday, we are goin' to buck 'em. See if they are keepers or off to the sale. That's the fun part!

18 comments:

Libby's Library said...

Glad you didn't get hurt, cause I want more Photo lessons;)

Anonymous said...

What a crazy kind of day!

Train Wreck said...

Sista Princess! How far are ya? cuz I am pretty stron I could help you next time! Heck we wouldn't even need tha ol tractor! Nice shot of your royal boots... they look very familiar like I have seen them somwhere before...? he he. Oh I am so glad you are ok! After all you and your handsome hubby made a promise to me. I am counting down the days. (wink) Bawling calves woot woot! Boy I don't envy you there. Oh gotta go draw a Weener! I mean Winner! See ya later alligator boots

CindyDianne said...

Sounds like a productive weekend. I think we may be kindred spirits! You and I build fence the same way! :-D

Anonymous said...

Ah...I see you got a "buns" picture that cold go on my "coffee cup" post..what? No coffee??? No mention of snacks either! Hmmm...and may I suggest not pushin' yer luck next weekend and movin' a bit faster outta the way...just in case THIS time they aren't bluffin!!

Linda said...

I've been known to stare at my boots too! Glad you survived being paneled!

Lil Mama said...

Oh My!! You are a brave litttle thing arn't cha. I won't work with my hubby cuz he yells a lot. I for sure won't stand in front of the tractor if he's drivin. He has a life insurance policy on me!! Yikes

Bekah said...

haha no death by bull panels would look bad in the obit.

kdwhorses said...

Sometimes our boots are very interesting! LOL! Glad the panels didn't get ya!

Anonymous said...

Oh man... I remember seperating piglets from their momma and THAT wasn't much fun either. Even though they're smaller than cows/calves, well, they're smaller and can fit in small places!

I've never heard of the bucking thing! Do share!

The Wife said...

NN-I'm still good for some more photography lessons!

TW-I reminded the husband yesterday about his promise. He said we're going! Woowoo!

CindyDianne-I found that is the best way to build fence!

The Ranch-Faster, now that's a concept! Oh, and we had plenty of water (sorry no coffee) and snack breaks!

Linda-Staring at my boots tends to keep me out of the way of the husband's productivity.

Lil Mama-Husband doesn't yell. I'm the only help he's got!

Bekah-I know right. The princess' obit could not read "Death by bull panels"!

Cubicle-The buckin' thing. Well, we raise bucking bulls for rodeos. So we buck all the calves (bulls and heifers) to see if they are worth keeping. I'll show you videos after Sunday!

missy said...

HOLY COW!!!!!hahaha!! that was a crazy day!!!
that is soooo cool....do you raise bulls for the rodeo!?!??!?!!?

Paige said...

Got a headache from all that bawlin yet? Nothing worse than the echo of new weaners bawling around the clock (unless it is them doing it INSIDE a metal building I had to be in for 6 hours----that just happened to me)

Vaquerogirl said...

Princess! Wow ! You are so pretty ! For some reason I thought you were older.. not that being older is a bad thing, but you seem ... wise in years perhaps! Thanks for posting a picture... I feel downright 'MOTHERLY' towards you now! Tell that cute bull riding hubby to be careful! Princesses are hard to come by- you wouldn't want to accidently mash one!

Anonymous said...

Ya, I yelled at her but, only to get the hek outta the way of the charging crazy ass cow. She reminded me that she is the "cow whisperer". She does an awesome job handling and sorting the cattle. She worries me a lot because she has no fear.
I felt really bad about the panel incident. I tried getting her to drive the tractor so that something like that wouldn't happen. No such luck.
Yes, she is my princess, fence builder, cow whisperer and very hard headed. Good thing she's tougher than nails.
I'm always saying that I used all my luck up on her. What else could a man ask for. A gorgeous princess that's a cow whisperer and tuff as they come.

gtyyup said...

That was a big day!!! Looking forward to next weekend's pics!!

Faithful said...

You remind of a time I had run out to bring our bull and his ladies back in after knocking the fence down..had to drag and pick one of those heavy panels up by myself and tie it.. only it was raining and I was still in my PJs. Blaaah! Puttin' up fence is no fun!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Whew! Death by panels? Not pretty..good thing you managed to escape!
And you don't QUIT when he hollers? I cannot begin to count how many times I have QUIT over holler'n...only to go back for more! :)