They knew something was up with all the commotion of the tractor and truck in the pen. They came up to see what was going on.
First, we started by putting up some wire panels over the 6 strand barbwire.
Then we had to move very heavy bull panels with the tractor to build a pen inside the pen. That way we could sort easier and use it when loading.
The husband worked hard setting t-posts and wiring the panels together.
While he did that, I did a lot of this.....
standing there looking at my feet and this......
ahhh....the princess on her royal perch. Hmmm....looks like the princess has had a few too many royal sweets!! I digress....anyhoo...
While setting up the panels, we almost had a royal disaster. The husband had the princess, oh I mean, the wife hold three very heavy bull panels up while he tried forking them with the tractor. The weight of the panels plus the pressure from the forks pushed them over. At one point, the thought of broken and mangled arms flashed thru my head. I managed to let go of the panels and they fell against some wooden posts. Phew! Death by bull panels would not be my ideal way to go!
We finally managed to get the pen set up and the calves caught. I managed to avoid some other near misses involving an angry momma cow and her crazy bull calf while sorting. My goodness it was a stressful, life flash before your eyes, sorta day. The husband even yelled at me a couple times worried the cow/calf were gonna run me down. Stupid me, I stand my ground. Lucky me, they were just bluffin'!
So we have our calves penned up and the bawlin' has begun. Next Sunday, we are goin' to buck 'em. See if they are keepers or off to the sale. That's the fun part!