Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week Two in the Books

Hey hey! We've made it thru week 2 of radiation.  On Tuesday, the Husband met with his new Dr. Nguyen.  He called to tell me that after radiation they took him back because the doctor wanted to chat with him.  I said "what?! Don't they know I'm suppose to be there for 'talks'!"  He verified with Nurse Kim that it was only a weekly check, nothing for me to worry about.  So the husband did discuss some side effects he was experiencing from the radiation.  They gave him suggestions and offered to prescribe him medication, which he declined.  He's so hard headed!

On Wednesday, the husband's dad flew in.  He's gonna hang out with us until the end of April.  I really need to get my "list" together of all the things I need done around here.  He's pretty handy. ;)

On Friday, Dr. Nguyen met again with the husband after his treatment.  Nurse Kim was waiting outside his changing room to snag him up. ;)  Have I said I REALLY like the doctors and nurses at the Cancer Center? I love that they stay on top of him.  They checked on his side effects.  He's been having some tummy issues. Plus his hip has been hurting. And the fatigue is starting to set in.  All kinds of fun stuff!  He again declined pain medicine for his hip.  I have since discussed this with him.  I think he may take them up on their offer at the next check in.  At least to take at night so he can get some good sleep.  

Saturday, the husband helped me with some engagement pictures.  I don't know how I would manage without him.  I know it was exhausting for him to walk up and down a hike trail with the couple's dog in tow but he was such a trooper.  I get so much strength from him.

This morning I was out running.  I started whining to myself that I was tired.  I could just walk.  Then I thought of the husband and how I just need to suck it up.  So I pushed myself and finished my 6 miles faster than ever!  Amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it!

For the most part, it's been pretty quiet this past week.  Stubby has even remained in his pen! 

7 comments:

lisa said...

I agree, take the medicine at least at night. My hubby is the same way, hates to take meds, but sleep is important. Hang in there, we all wish we could help out, but we sure are with you in spirit!

ellie k said...

My husband had lung cancer two years ago and his scans this month showed a new spot on one lobe of his lung. After new scans, a P E T scan they have decided it is scare tissue but will take a new scan in a few months. I am praying for your hubby and a complete recovery.

ellie k said...

Oh and take the meds, do not suffer more then needed. They had to break my husbands rib and cut a large muscle, he still has a lot of pain is he exerts himself which he does regular. He still thinks he can push, pull carry just like before and soon finds out he cannot. But he is 68 years old too.

Aunt DeDe said...

Glad the father in law is with you, he will at least be moral support for you kids. Yes, put him to work as your new handy man. Love from Uncle Ed and I.

Mom said...

hey kid listening to the wife has not proven to be a bad thing... a god nights sleep is a great thing, i just learned this a few weeks ago.. get the meds for the night please. you will get better faster.. and do you know how much i hate to say your dad was right.. but my eyes healed great because i slept more, thats what the doc said. love you tons and tons mom

Foxterriermom said...

Love and prayers to you both.

Jen's Farmily said...

It's amazing how things get put into perspective (like with your running and pushing yourself). I'm glad you were able to talk him into getting pain meds next time... sleep is going to be very important!!