Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's Official!!!!

I'm a volunteer for the Humane Society of Central Texas!  I attended my volunteer orientation this afternoon.  Left work an hour early to make it to the class.  The first hour was explaining the shelter, how it works, what goes on, etc.  Then we were showed all the tools of the trade for dog socialization, leashes, treats, poop bags, etc.  The coordinator explained everything in detail and took us out to the kennels.

Basically, now that I went thru the class, I can just show up, grab my gear from the volunteer office and head out to the animals.  I can pick any dog I want, take it out of it's kennel and play!  It's so laid back.  I really liked that aspect of it.

I talked to the adoption coordinator about taking pictures.  He said they would give me access to their computer program so I could upload the pictures directly onto the site.  Pretty much, whenever I want, I show up, take doggies out to play and snap their pics.  From what I experienced today, this is going to be so much fun.  Now I'm just wishing I had more free time available to be there.  My work schedule and their hours only allow for a few volunteer opportunities but I'll get it figured out.  I just realized I'm off on Monday so I plan to put in some good time that day.

Oh, and so you know, they have a policy that volunteers are not allowed to adopt for the first 30 days.  The husband said that was an EXCELLENT policy!  He'll probably call up there and tell them to extend my period of non-adoption!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! This is awesome! Our vet hospital does all the shelter work for our local shelter. What a thankless job for the folks running them and they would not be successful if it wasn't for people like you! You will love this Kit!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Good policy , I am thinking otherwise it would be a dog a day! Glad that you are abe to do this! the pictures will be amazing!

Mama Mess said...

Oooh, that's wonderful! That will be such fun for you! Remember when you told me that your bliss was helping animals??? Well welcome to your bliss baby!

BridgeEtta said...

Good for you! Good for the animals!

Leah said...

You will be wonderful at this....and I bet just by word of mouth you will have an impact on helping those furry friends find a home... Anxious to hear more about it!

Shirley said...

Thats wonderful! The dogs are going to love you, and I bet we see a few of those fuzzy faces on this blog!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

LOL your Hubby is too cute! Congratulations!! With you providing beautiful pictures of these animals it will definitely make people want to see them!! Such a great thing your doing!!

Gail said...

This is such a wonderful thing you are doing.

The great pictures you take will allow these dogs quicker adoption. You have seen shelter photos...not so good.

Your eye will see the heart of the dog and capture that on film.

Thank you.

Lindy said...

Sounds like the perfect gig for you! Enjoy!

LindaG said...

LOL!
But still, congratulations! That's great news. :)

Anonymous said...

wooohooo! You will be great at it!

Whit said...

Awesome!

My husband and I adopted a little dog from our local pound before we got married. He is the sweetest thing in the world!

Good for you!

Tatersmama said...

How perfect! You are gonna be SO good at this, and the photos might just give those doggies a new home, and a new leash on life!

I don't know if I could do it myself though - because I would want to bring most of 'em home with me!

Lil Mama said...

Awesome. They couldn't have found someone better then you. .

Anonymous said...

Yey! congrats! And that's hilarious, your comment about the hubs extending your period of adoption time :)