Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Diesel's New Playmate



Well, maybe not exactly.

IMG_3764


I don't think they know quite what to think about each other.

IMG_3765


And if Itty Bitty makes any sudden movement towards him, he jets off.  Such a scaredy cat.

IMG_3766


Itty Bitty is in the pasture at the house with the bred heifers.  She's so small we wanted to keep her close to home.  We took the other weanling heifers to our lease.  The weanling bulls are penned.  Itty Bitty was so upset to be away from her buddies.  She would sit at the gate to the pens and bawl.  It was so sad.

IMG_7999


The husband told me if I didn't have "so many" dogs, we could have put her in the yard.  Whatever!  She's gotten better and the heifers have taken her in pretty well.

IMG_8007


She's still skittish though.  I haven't been able to calm her down much.  I'm hoping with her being with the heifers, she may realize I'm the good guy.  I feed a good bit of them by hand.  It'll just take some time and I'm a patient lady.

22 comments:

Country Whispers said...

I was guessing it was gonna be a new dog that showed up at your house.
This one will work though and I'm sure your husband will tolerate her better than another dog.

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

I had three cows in my yard this winter. It's not all it's cracked up to be. They weren't supposed to in my yard. They were supposed to be in the alfalfa pasture across the road. Darn girls!

Our dog Jake used to do that too, but I've been helping him. If he'd have not been around when we shipped heifers it wouldn't have gone so well. He is learning to be a good helper. He's an english shepherd.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

He is nearly as big as her!

Anonymous said...

is she the same age as the heifers. what will become of her or will she ever be big enough to breed.

Unknown said...

Aww itty bitty. You can ship her up here, she can be Indigo's new playmate. Shes so cute.

The Wife said...

Anonymous-Itty is 7 months old. Those heifers are 2 years old. We plan on keeping her as a pet. Nothing much else we can to with her. As far as breeding, we would most likely have to find a miniature bull. But I don't think the husband will do that. He doesn't want to go into the miniature rough stock business.

That Janie Girl said...

So very sweet!

Lil Mama said...

Mini rough stock...Hmmmm. I think there could be a big market for that in Jr Rodeo.

Leah said...

I was getting anxious for a Diesel story -- it won't be long and maybe they will be pals!

Genie said...

Try feeding her apples. That has worked for every skittish weaner calf we have.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Aww Itty Bitty is still SO cute!!! I think you made the absolute right decision on keeping her at home!!

Anonymous said...

I wonder how much bigger Diesel can get to be?

Two of our neighbors calves come into our yard on a daily basis. Grass is a whole lot greener over here. :)

Linda said...

Itty-Bitty is just Diesel's size!

Shirley said...

She makes me think of the Alan Jackson song; "it's all right to be itty bitty". I think she'll have a good life, bossing dogs around. Let her grow some horns and maybe she'll be a good guard cow!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have always liked Itty Bitty..she is my favorite!! :)

Mama Mess said...

Does she have a Jersey skulking back in the woodpile somewhere? That's what she looks like, a little Jersey calf!

Anonymous said...

lol That's cute.

the cubicle's backporch said...

She is so darn cute!! Poor thing had to leave all her friends!

lisa said...

At least Diesel has a play mate. I think opposites attract;)

Andrea said...

Oh I love her! I am glad she is doing better out their with the big girls! I love how she isn't afraid of that big ole pup!! Itty Bitty is adorable! And I don't think you have too many dogs, why can't she go in the yard!! lol

Janice said...

Way to go Diesel...it's called always be prepared.

Unknown said...

Aww they are so cute!