Sunday, January 24, 2010

Come Out, Come Out Where Ever You Are

We went in halves with Rent-a-husband on a lease.  Last week, both of our weanling bulls calves were turned out on the acreage.  Of course, a few days later, we get a call that one of our misfits (brindle named Monkey Butt) got out.  The neighbor was nice enough to get him back in.

Rent-a-husband went the next day to check on 'em.  He couldn't find the escapee.  Everything else was there.  We just hoped he would make his way back to the herd.

Yesterday we went to check things out.  See, the lease is about 2 hours from the house so it's not real convenient for us to just pop over.  So we get there and start calling for them.  No luck.  The husband decides to drive down to a corner and see if we can find them where Rent-a-husband said they were hanging out.

Sure enough, we find them along the fence line near a creek.  But as we moved closer, they took off running thru the brush.  We only got a second to see the pack.  I couldn't make out if Monkey Butt was with them.  The husband thinks he saw him.

We drive back out to a clearing and call them again.  Thinking they will come to feed.  But they're not to be seen.  So we hunt for them in this...

IMG_8225

IMG_8231

Oh, and it was windy and raining.  And I couldn't see anything but cedar.  The calves were probably 10 feet away from me snickerin' the entire time.  Little heathens!  We never did find them.  Finally gave up and left.  What a busted trip!

16 comments:

crystal.cattle said...

Aren't cattle just wonderful at ruining every wonderful plan or idea you ever have. I am pretty sure they were snickering. Mine do.

www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

Mama Mess said...

LOL! I can just see them hidin' in the brush sniggerin' at you standing there in the rain just callin' for all yer worth! Little buggers...hope they were all there!

Cedar View Paint Horses said...

Did you bring Diesel the amateur cow dog? Need a good cow dog in that terrain.

The Ag Teacher's Wife said...

Been there, done that! Sometimes cattle can be so pesky! I hope you find them soon. They will probably come back on their own! :)

Unknown said...

Evil things. 2 hours away!? Thats a long haul

Shirley said...

Looks like a good job for a couple of dogs and a good horse;0)

the cubicle's backporch said...

Ugh! What a pain in the rear. MrC has always said he will never have cows because they get out and they are hard to chase down.

Hopefully your escapee shows up soon!!

Dee said...

Is MonkeyButt "my" brindle?! The youngun I fell in love with? My darling gorgeous baby?

Ship him here! The neighbors will love me.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Liitle boogers! First little while on a new pasture they can be wild like deer!

Jocelyn said...

when my FIL calls the moo cows, they holler back and come running FULL TILT.

I stay in the truck of course !
two hours ? What a waste of gas and time the little heathens!

DKG aka Scrappy Doo said...

Love the name Monkeybutt :-)
Hope ya find em
Helped some people the other day get their heifer out of the middle of Hwy 77 (of course that was after I almost hit her doin 70 mph)

Mikey said...

Oh man, I feel your pain. I remember being out one morning, on a colt, searching for a bunch in the brush out here. You know, the desert doesn't look like it can hide anything, but I swear it took me an hour to find them. I could SMELL them, found fresh, steaming poop, but yet could not see or hear them. Rode circles and circles and finally found them. But boy, I was frustrated!! So I'm feeling you on this. They were probably behind a bush 10 feet away laughing at you :)

Robynn's Ravings said...

When my cattle get away from me I just stab 'em with a fork and put 'em back on my plate. What else would a city dweller do?!

lisa said...

Little heathens is right, they were laughing at you. Monkey butt? I think I will leave that one alone!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

OHHH that is SO frustrating!!! I can feel your pain on trying to find the "misfit" ones!! But not having to drive 2 hours to do it!! Hope all is well with them!

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

So all summer, I put bunch after bunch of cows back in their regular pasture after they'd find their way into the alfalfa field. They know exactly where they are supposed to be mind you, b/c one look at my horse, and they'd all start trotting off to the gate. We never did find where they were getting through, unless they were going down a 20ft ravine through the water gap that was washed out. But that would be some serious acrobatics on the part of the cows. They're really good at being where we don't want them to be!