Last night, as we sipped Archer Farms Sparkling Peach Cider (a vintage selection from Tar-Jay), the husband and I thought back over our year. Me, the glass is always half full kinda girl, thought it went pretty well. The husband, on the other hand, couldn't wait for it to be over. He started reminding me of all the bad luck we had thru-out the year. You know what, our year did suck! (Sorry workmom, I know you hate when I use that word.)
In previous years we have been blessed that our animals are healthy. But this year, it all caught up with us. Let's count it down, shall we....
1. Sally, my mare, got crippled in January shortly after I got her from my dad. The husband and I both had only ridden her once! We took her to the vet and he couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. Then she got gravely ill and stayed at the vet for a month or so! We've almost had to put her down several times but she seems to have a strong will. Thru-out the year she's had her ups and downs. She seems to have made a breakthrough but she needs to put on more weight. Nothing worse than seeing a thin horse.
2. Two of our embryo calves died. They both hit the ground healthy. One had a dry momma. The other's momma laid on it and broke it's hip. We took both of them to Texas A&M's vet clinic/school. They couldn't save either.
3. Two of our best yearlings died in freak accidents. The best yearling heifer (CC) drown in a creek. The creek is always bone dry but we got a bunch of rain and it became a raging river. She got caught in some brush along the bank. The husband's favorite yearling bull (Rose) stuck his head thru a heavy pipe gate during the night. Then he tore it off the hinges. The weight of the gate suffocated him. He was found the next morning.
4. Then Priss, my filly, got into a horrible barbwire fence accident. She cut her back leg to the bone and severed the tendon plum in to. She was cut from head to toe, front to back. It took months to heal her up. The tendon gash had finally scabbed over and was healing up nicely until she and Sally got into a tiff the other day. She ran thru the small metal water trough and busted it open. Blood was everywhere. So we're workin' on that wound again!
5. The Dukester died two days after Christmas.
6. One of our good bulls (Death Wish) was bucked two days ago and ran off. Makes no sense to us. Something is going on with him. We are picking him up today and bringin' home.
So there you have it. Our animals had a horrible 2008. We are so glad it has come to a close. As we made our toast last night, we poured a little out for our passed on homies. Cause that's how we roll here at the Crazy M crib! And wished for a healthier 2009. I think I may put blackeyed peas in all the feed troughs today!
Why People Should Be Raised In Barns
1 month ago