Monday, October 20, 2008

The Results of Bullriding 101


Saturday night, the husband and I went to see the kid that asked for some bullriding pointers from the husband. First, let me say, both I and the husband did not think he should ride and we voiced that to him. However, he did not listen. Here are some of our reasons behind this decision:

1. He hasn't been on a bull in a year. Prior to that, he has only been on about three. The husband discussed with him that he needs to get on lots of practice bulls if he actually wants to ride.

2. Bullriding is not an annual hobby. The percentage of him getting hurt is very high if he thinks he can just ride one bull a year.


3. He's really never had anyone actually teach him the mechanics of bullriding (besides the short one hour hit the highlights session the husband had with him). It takes knowledge, skill and a lot of practice to become a bullrider and he doesn't have any of that.


4. The kid said he "learned a lot" from watching 8 Seconds. I said, "Dude, Lane dies!" Why he didn't think to watch a PBR is beyond me. Anyhoo....


We arrived early to the kid's house. The kid had bought a new bullrope so the husband was gettin' it all fixed up. The husband explained to the kid how not to get hung up. And no matter what, don't freak out and OPEN YOUR HAND to get off. The also told him how to get down on the bull in the chute and warm his rope up. Yeah, I tell ya, he didn't know a thing about bullriding!


At the beginning of the rodeo, the kid came and asked the husband to help him find his bull in the pens. He knew his draw and wanted to see which one it was. The husband went back and saw that his gear bag so nowhere around. Hubby asked him where it was and he said in the truck. Hubby said why is it in the truck? Kid answered, "you told me to guard it with my life. You think it will be safe back here?" (See hubby lent the kid his old gear bag with all his old stuff.) So the kid went and got his gear bag but didn't know where to put it. Oh my.


Well, we finally got to the event. And this is how it went......



Not good! I hate to say it but I chuckled. It's morbid bullridin' humor really. But I knew he wasn't that hurt cause he was up walking around. I guess when you've dealt with this for many moons, it just doesn't phase ya like it does other people. Oh and maybe because my attitude towards it is if you are going to do it than be prepared for the consequences. Just suck it up buddy. Anyhoo....


Since the bull hipped himself on the side of the chute, the judges offered him a re-ride. The husband, being the very caring individual, tapped the kid on the chest, asked him if he was hurt, when the kid said he was okay, yelled, "He'll take the re-ride!" Kid was not excited about this. He didn't want the re-ride but the husband told him he was gettin' on. So here we went again. Now I don't have video of this one cause I messed up my camera settings but this is the shot I finally got off....

Not so good. But he did stay on longer this time. There's a plus!

The husband called me at lunch today. He saw the kid at work today. Said he had road rash up his face, knot on his head, swollen eye and nose and numerous scraps and bruises on his chest and arm. I asked if he thought he was going to ride bulls again. The husband replied, "Nope, I think we cured him of that." I just laughed and told him to tell the kid thanks for the good chuckle.

13 comments:

Bekah said...

OUCH! why dont some people know their limits??

Calamity Lace said...

Good question! Who in their right mind would get on a huge beast with little to no experience. NOT I, NOT I!

Paige said...

This sounds like the answer I get from my clients when I ask them why they are so hell-bent on doing something stupif--"A man has got to do what a man has got to do"

It never works out

Hope he is cured !

Paula said...

Hello - Hopped on over from Ranch Wife - He got stomped! What a good mother you are to just let him learn his lesson! My son was "muttin-bustin'" at age 5 - took a nose full of dirt and a split lip, got up and said, "This is Stupid!" and never had a desire again! Some it just takes longer then others! Laughed with you as I read!

Blessings!
P.

Linda said...

We're surrounded by bull riders around here. One of the old neighbors says "Yer born witf ten marbles, if yer got 'em all spit out for yer growed ya kin be a bull rider, no prob."

Train Wreck said...

Well it's a good thing he is so hard headed! He needs to change proffessions if he isn't going to practice. He will learn more from 8 seconds than he thinks. How great that your husband is trying to help him. Good luck to that crazy kid!

Vaquerogirl said...

What a great post! Ill fated kid meets hard headed bull! And KUDOS to your Hubby for telling him to get on AGAIN! Yippee!! Better that Cowboy U!

kdwhorses said...

Oh good Lord! Why in the world would you want to try and do something you never practiced at?!?! Hello, goofball! Hopefully he learned you can't just say your'e going to be a bullrider and then do it! There is alot more to it than that! He he he!

Glad he wasn't hurt too bad!

spanki said...

good job you guys!! that will teach him!! kids think it is no big deal and how it's so cool to be a bull rider! it ain't too cool watching from a wheel chair!!! i have seen serious injuries, that is just crazy!!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear - poor kid with rodeo rash! Still, sometimes doing something yourself is the only way to learn.. He's either cured of bullriding - or hooked.

Leigh said...

The part where he said "I learned alot from watching 8 seconds," I almost spit water on my keyboard. HILARIOUS!!!

I love your blog!

Leigh (the other twin from Twincrossroads)

Mikey said...

He learned from 8 seconds? Oh geez. Unreal. That's a hard lesson he had to learn there, but I know, I've done it too. Some things just have to be tried to say you've done it.
I've always wanted to be a bullfighter (I bow to Rob Smets, the king) but I figure if I ever actually tried it, I probably would not think it was so cool, lol.
Excellent post :)

~Rachel~ said...

I teach high school kids (ag to be exact) and the boys always want to do crazy things like this with little or no training In the stands, real cowboys ALMOST make it look easy.

My "favorite man" happens to be a bullfighter, so now all my students want to try that next...Like all they have to do is RUN! All I can say is pray for 'em! :)