Friday, January 17, 2014

The Adventures of Cancer, Crazy M Style

Today was the dreaded bone marrow biopsy. All the horror stories turned "it won't be that bad" turned to reality.  It started off with his blood tests. They let me come back and hang in the lab with him. The nurse asked if I wanted to observe the biopsy.  Um, no. I'm good with sitting in the lobby and lettin' the professionals handle that. She said it would take about 20 minutes and then she'd bring him out to me. Alright, I'll go hang out. 

Well I sat there for 20 minutes.  Then 40 minutes passed. Hmm, now we're getting close to an hour. This can't be good. Finally the nurse walked out. She said they had problems getting the marrow. She had tried twice with no success so she had the doctor come in and try. He was finally able to get the sample. Of course, nothing can ever go simple with us. She took me back to the lab where the husband was sitting.  As I rounded the corner, I said to the lab tech, "I'm so glad y'all got my email about the new torture technique."  ;)  

The nurse explained possible side effects and issues that may arise. Told me to call her directly if we needed anything.  Then we were on our way.  I went back to work and the husband went about his day.  He had lunch with a friend. Ran some errands in town and came home to clean out the stock trailer! 

He's very sore but it hasn't slowed him down much. I got on to him about lifting a heavy tool box this evening. Have to keep my eye on him! Tomorrow we're headed to Stephenville to buck some yearling bulls. 

We also got the remainder of his appointments scheduled. His PET scan and bone survey will be Monday. An additional MRI will be on Wednesday.  Friday afternoon we meet back with Dr D to get all the results.  Next week may be the longest week EVER.


On a side note, I'm running a half marathon next Sunday, the 26th. The race benefits the bone marrow registry. I have a fundraising page if you'd like to support us. When I registered for the race last year, I had NO idea how important the bone marrow registry may become to us. How ironic, huh?! Anyhow, here is the link if you're interested.

http://www.makeyeshappen.com/Athlete/Story/1733


3 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

wow! one tough guy!!Guess you cant slow a good man down!But maybe he should??

Leah said...

All I can think of is youch ~ glad that is over now the hardest part waiting and waiting... Have fun bucking those bulls :)

lisa said...

Good luck, waiting is always the hardest part! Glad the hubby is a strong man! I think the spouse is the one to take it the hardest! Hang in there!