Monday, September 20, 2010

Who's Your Daddy or Mommy?

IMG_1390

The husband and I have been wondering if Diesel is mixed with another breed.  There are just some characteristics that don't quite fit a mastiff.  For example, he never stops running, he LOVES the water, he's not as big as expected, and so on.  So we've had our questions.

I decided to do a DNA test of him.  Just for fun of course cause it really doesn't matter what it says.  It won't change anything.  Just give us a better understanding about him.  I ordered the Canine Heritage Breed Test and it arrived Saturday.

Yesterday, we decided to get the cheek swab.  The husband let Diesel in the house.  First thing he did was run and grab Harley's toys.  I'm thinking GREAT, he's gonna have Harley's DNA in his mouth now.  He'll come back as a Yorkie cross!  It took the husband and I both trying to wrestle with him to get the swab in his mouth.  I just knew he was going to eat it like he does everything.  I managed to get a few twists on the swab.  Fingers crossed there is enough DNA on it for testing.

Mailed it back to the company this morning and now we wait.  Any thoughts on what it may come back as?  My luck, it'll say chihuhua/poodle mix.  Oh well, it was worth a shot.  I'll let you know when we get the results.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harley is gorgeous, but I think mixed.

Vaquerogirl said...

Looks a little like a Rottie profile...in any case he's a abig handsome boy that I wouldn't want to f@#% with!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

He is a gorgeous boy,but it would be interesting to know.Pretty funny to see the looks on the techs if it did come back a yorkie cross!though I think the testing is pretty specific and they could tell the difference in the cell types as to active cells and shed ones

Lil Mama said...

How cool! I can't wait to see what it says.

Reddunappy said...

It will be interesting to see what he test says.
Maybe he is part Labrador? LOL he acts like it!

Unknown said...

I wonder if hes gonna have any yorkie in him :P

Shirley said...

When I had that Mastiff pup here, I thought she looked different from Diesel; more drooly, and baggier around the face. She is a purebred. It will be interesting to see the results of this test. No matter what, he's a prince!

BridgeEtta said...

I think he'll be a part "Harley." LOL

West Side of Straight said...

A beautiful dog, and do you think maybe mix w/Great Dane? Some parts of his head shape remind me of Great Dane - and they're a more active dog.

Mama Mess said...

He is for sure gorgeous but I don't think he's a pure Mastiff. For some reason I always thought he was a Rhodie? Do you have a Rhodesian Ridgeback? Whatever he is, he's a doll! It will be cool to find out though, I didn't even know you could do that!

lisa said...

Would of never thought of doing that! Of course I didn't think they had things like that to begin with. Good luck.

Kellee said...

My guess would be Mastiff, Rottie, and Lab. You might be totally suprised with what the results might be! Exciting!

Linda said...

You know at heart he's probably just a massive yorkie;)

Linda said...

We used the Canine Heritage Breed Test for our mutt. We knew she was a serious mixed breed (ELPH calles her "100% American Mixed Breed of the South Carolina Varity) but like you were curious as to what went into the mix. Turns out she's Coonhound, Shelty & Dacshund. Yeah. Talk about mixed up, LOL!