Sunday, January 31, 2010

Turn Around, Don't Drown

I know many of y'all are dealing with snow out the wazoo.  We aren't cold enough to have snow but we did get rain, lots and lots of rain!  So much that I called into work on Friday to say I would be late.  I prefer to drown in the daylight if it's gonna happen.  Just kidding.

I did want to wait till it was daylight before I left the house.  I also wanted to give the water a chance to subside, even though it was still raining.  I headed out and came to our bridge.  The water was just under it.  But it was over the road on the other side.

IMG_3829

Our little creek had turned into a river.

IMG_3828

Plus there was this issue.  A pointy broken tree in my path.  I decided I better go another way.  If the water was over the road here, it was most likely over the road at the next bridge.  I backed up the road to turn around.

IMG_3827

The bridge on the other road was okay to cross.  Then it's just 10 miles of dirt road.  Blah!

When I came home that evening the water was still right under the bridge but no longer over the road.  The big pointy stick was still there too but I managed to drive by it this time.

IMG_3831

Now we're just dealing with cold temps and mud.  Have I told y'all lately how much I hate mud?  I do, I really, really do.

24 comments:

Linda said...

Um honey? That is not a pointy stick. That's a whole freaking tree! Hole-lee-crap! that's a lotta watta! Be safe, try to stay unstuck.

Linda said...

Um honey? That is not a pointy stick. That's a whole freaking tree! Hole-lee-crap! that's a lotta watta! Be safe, try to stay unstuck.

Jocelyn said...

pointy STICK? hardly that stick is a tree!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

raging water scares me. here in the desert we rarely have lots of rain, but we do get the occasional flash flood and you don't know which drainage it might roar down. twice in the last 8 years our home bridges got washed out - we're right on the corner of two creeks.
last year a retired deputy sheriff got swept into the snake river. call me chicken, but i'm glad you didn't cross that bridge!!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

lisa said...

There are days that I would rather have snow any day than mud especially when spring is here and we are ass deep in the mud;)

Mikey said...

Yikes and more yikes!!! That would scare me a bit. Yup. You brave girl!!

Shirley said...

Isn't it a little early in the year for heavy rain and flooding? Glad you made it safely forth and back.

Rising Rainbow said...

Here we'd call that stick a log....but what the heck, it was sticking through the bridge. LOL

As for mud, I'm totally with you girl. I am so sick of mud!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope your world and mine dry up sometime real soon.

threecollie said...

Mud is made to be hated. Glad you got home safely!

West Side of Straight said...

Yes, I definately hate mud and big puddles more than snow! I'm sure we'll get that as spring gets closer, you hang in there. Don't float away!

Gail said...

What is the scary part is, you don't know what is washed out that you can't see. Do be careful.

Linda said...

Um...dirt roads? Wouldn't that be mud trails?

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Yikes girl! Stay dafe and dry !

Unknown said...

I feel so fortunate to not have had much rain. I do however wish for more snow. I want to drive my sleigh again. Know how many times I have said that? I wish I wish I wish I wish

The Ag Teacher's Wife said...

I feel your pain, I truly do. I'm glad you got to work and made it home okay! Oh, and I think we probably lived in S-Ville the same time you did! Moved there in July 2005.

the cu said...

I agree with the first commenter... anything over 6" in diameter is definitely a BIG TREE!!!

Mama Mess said...

LOL! I also hate the mud and when I went to do chores tonight it was startin' to appear again! Hopefully our cold temps will hold for a bit more! Glad you were cautious and lived to blog another day!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh I hate mud. I think those of us that have to do chores really hate mud. I'd rather 6 feet of snow than rushing water and pointy tree thingees. Rushing water scares the crap out of me! Throw a life jacket in the truck;)

Vaquerogirl said...

As the rain was pouring down here I was thinking about you and your bridge from last years rain stories! I see things are just the same this year plus the added adventure of a 'pointy stick'.

I hate mud too. Hate, hate hate it!

Leah said...

No matter what part of the country we live in... each one of us has our challenges with nature... Rain can be troublesome... glad your travels were safe... Can you swim?

Paige said...

well that is just gross. Glad you stayed safe

Dee said...

Hope it clears up soon for you.

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

I am with you on the mud. I don't know when I'm going to really get to ride again. bummer, right?

Anonymous said...

Ya... water and mud can be so crappy. Just stay home... stay put and deal with your own property.

Holy Moly... STICK? Cripes almighty!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal