Tuesday, February 17, 2009

President's Day Surprise!

We have been waiting for Silk to have her baby FOREVER! Well maybe not that long but it seems like it! For the last two weeks, she has been really bagged up. We knew it could be any day. The husband would call me every evening and ask if there was a baby. He got the same response every evening, "No!"

Finally, yesterday, the husband was burning trash and noticed she was off by herself. We figured she was finally having the calf. I told the husband he better go check on her cause she had been on feed for a month or so and we were worried she was going to have problems. He headed out into the pasture. When he didn't return for awhile, I knew something was up. I headed out there myself with Lil Man in tow.

Sure enough, we got out there and she had just had the little booger! No problems and it was doing fine. Hungry but fine! Of course, I didn't have the right lens on my camera so the shots were way too far off to be any good. But this afternoon when I fed, Silk came up and brought the little cutie!



After Silk ate, she took the baby off to the hay.


Momma and baby are doing just fine! I love babies!

29 comments:

Calamity Lace said...

Awww yes very adorable! One of the other things that makes my heart melt hehe. BTW what is your tattoo of? Getting it on your foot...owwwwwie! You got some guts, cuz I have been toying with that idea for quite awhile and am still too chicken to get one there.

Paintsmh said...

Uhm that cow has a Holstein look to her. But I agree. AWW baby!!!

threecollie said...

Awwwww......

Gecko said...

Awwww, gorgeous! Bull or hfr?

Anonymous said...

not sure if its a bull or hiefer yet, gotta wait and see. Both the wife and I think it's a hiefer. And although the momma looks like a holstien, she's not. She's a whitesports coat granddaughter.

missy said...

AAWWWWWW!!! how cute....I miss being on a farm!!!!

missy said...

oh i forgot.....i LOVE the picture of the week!!!!!!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Nothing cuter than a baby calf...or puppy, or kitty or foal or bunny or skunk or chicken or duck...you get the idea!!!!

Lil Mama said...

So cute. There isn't much that is cuter then a calf. Mabey a bunny but not much else. Oh Yeah and the Littlest Cowboy.

Gecko said...

Yeah, looks like a hfr. ;D

That Janie Girl said...

Beautiful!!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Absolutely my fav of all birthings...baby calves! I sure miss that!

mrscravitz said...

Aaaahh! What a cutie! I love baby calves! They are so dang cute! Our neighbors have cows, and our pastures connect, and I usually get to witness a birth or two, and it is pretty neat.

Mikey said...

Awww, adorable! Love that hay pic, that's so sweet!

Pony Girl said...

Aww, too precious! Glad that it all went well! Does she have a name on the way?

Anonymous said...

Great photo of mum and baby. Congratulations all round!

BloggessJ said...

He/She is soo cute! Momma's out of the Whitesportcoat line....what's daddy's background?

kdwhorses said...

AWWWWWW how sweet! What a cute calf! Glad she did well and didn't have any problems.

Paintsmh said...

Ohhh that is a beautiful cow! And dang she is the blackest white sports coat granddaughter I have ever seen...not that I have gotten to see too many!

Kellys said...

You love baby ANIMALS!! Qualify that....... :)

Jocelyn said...

What a cute baby! Mamma is a looker too if I do say so myself!

Calves are right up there with puppies in my book.

Foxterriermom said...

Oh my gosh! WAY too cute! Why don't you have a "name the baby" contest?

Faithful said...

My grandkids would love that baby! ..they love calving time! Beautful color on the momma, too.

gtyyup said...

Way too cute!!! Love the babies!

The Wife said...

Jamie- The daddy is out of Gunslinger son and Brokeback V daughter.

Paula said...

Sweet baby! Mamma is doing a good job!

~Rachel~ said...

So which president are you going to name it after?

Heather said...

Awww so cute! Tuesday in my reading class one of the girls actually asked if cow's have horns! I about busted out laughing! She said "I thought only bulls had horns." Obviously she didn't grow up in texas and see the blue bell cow everyday on her milk carton!

Jen's Farmily said...

We've been seeing a lot of baby calves in the fields on the farms around us. They are so stinkin' cute! And I love watching them run around, they're all legs!