Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Duke

I had really high hopes for Duke when I bought him. He was going to be the protector of the property from all outside varmits. Doesn't he look vicious. Okay, not so much as a puppy! But look at that face, he's saying, "Come on, bring it!"

As some of you know, we have a bad coyote problem. At the end of last year, we lost sweet Shiloh to 'em. So in an effort to manage the issue, we bought two killer black ops special force donkeys to watch over the calves.
Their faces are concealed for national security purposes.... They have done a great job at keeping the pastures safe. But I would still like to think that Duke, the protector of all, would have the heart of a lion in protecting the homestead. Well, the truth came out yesterday. It started to rain, thunder and lightning. Guess where I found Duke......
In my jack russell's doghouse on the porch! He's such a big baby. I thought he had learned his lesson about this doghouse previously. He has been stuck in it several times needing the husband's assistance in being freed. But when I guess you're scared, you'll stuff yourself into any space possible.

So maybe Zena, the ridgeback, will step up to the plate as the protector of the land.....

Well, maybe not!

4 comments:

OneCowgirl said...

You've got a great sense of humor. Enjoyed reading about meeting your husband - the lock on the door - too funny!

BITR Country Girl said...

I found your blog on Cowboys, Kids and sunsets. Thought i'd drop by and say Hi. We have two dogs like Duke that are scared of storms! It's kinda funny to wake up in the middle of a thunderstorm with a 26 pound cocker spaniel burrowed in next to you under the covers shivering. Well off to read more of your posts! Have a great day!

BITR Country Girl

BITR Country Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hi! How are the "black ops special force" donkey's doing on their mission? Love this post and your sense of humor! Please come back.

Bekah said...

haha I found you through Bumps in the Road, I love your dogs! too cute. Mine cowers in storms too, but when that vacuum cleaner comes out...then he is ferocious!